2007-05-13

What was Solomon's greatest resource?

I believe that Solomon's greatest resource was his relationship to God. A right relationship with God had been modeled for him by his father David (flaws and all).

Starting in 1 Kings 3:5 we see the account of God coming to meet with Solomon and asking "What should I do for you?"

Solomon's answer illustrates his understanding of what it is going to take to develop and maintain a right relationship with God. He does not ask for silver or gold, or wealth or power, but said instead:

"So give your servant an understanding heart to judge your people to discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of yours?" ( 1 Ki 3:9 NASB )

God was pleased with Solomon's request (see 1 Ki 3:10) and the fulfillment of that request became what I consider Solomon's most valuable treasure - an understanding and properly discerning heart.

May we also receive understanding hearts and begin to truly discern between good and evil as Solomon learned to do under God's direction.

--Peter